::Ravna Gora from the Turk’s attack till the building of Karolinska road::
It is assumed that the region in which the present settlement Ravna Gora is located suffered heavily from the Turks. If this region was inhabited, the Turks exterminated the entire population, they either killed the people or took them into slavery or the ones who survived escaped over the river Kupa to Slovenia. According to some historical sources, in the Middle Ages the Frankopan family had a town in Stara Sušica which the Turks weren’t able to invade during their major incursion in 1568 even though they devastated the entire surrounding area. That is the first data on the existence of a Frankopan city and their subjects in Stara Sušica.
Before the Turkish incursions the Ravna Gora region was inhabited by Croats Cakavian spekers, reigned by the Frankopan noble family. After the Turkish incursion till the beginning of the 17th century Ravna Gora was deserted and uninhabited for some time.
At the beginning of the 17th century a few of the natives or their children, who left Stara Sušica escaping from the Turks, started to return from Slovenia and Croatian Littoral. Their settling was supported by the Zrinski dukes.
Around 1632, the Ogulin captain Gašpar Frankopan brought many Serbs from Bosnia into this region and settled them in Ravna Gora, Stari Laz, Mrkoplje and Tuk and behind Bjelolasica in Drežnica and Jasenak. These Serbs integrated with the natives and converted to Catholic faith.
The small towns Ravna Gora and Sušica were a part of Military Frontier and the Military Frontier had its military watchtowers with a small military crew located there. During the Frontier era the military governance built three more buildings additionally to the watchtower: the post office, the blacksmith’s workshop and the wheel-wright’s workshop.
:: Building of the Karolinska road till World War I ::
The building of the Karolinska road is exceptionally important for the prosperity of Ravna gora. The construction works began in 1726 and in 1732 the construction works were performed in Ravna Gora. Karolinska road was named after the Emperor Carl and it run from Karlovac to Bakar. The road was 105,6 km long and trade took place all along it. At that time, together with native inhabitants (most of them came from Croatian Littoral and Istria) Slovenians and Czechs inhabited Ravna Gora along Karolinska road.
Following that immigration, the inhabitants of Ravna Gora, along with the few Germans and Czechs as well as Slovenians and coastal inhabitants, created a special language, with characteristics of the Kajkavian dialect, since that was the language spoken by most immigrants from Slovenia.
The successor of Maria Theresa, Joseph II issued a charter dated March 14th 1785 by which Ravna Gora became one of the privileged free towns in the Empire. By that charter it was allowed that two annual fairs take place in Ravna Gora: St. Theresa Day (August 15th) and Day of the Holly Three Kings (January 6th) and a weekly fair every Tuesday. It was also stipulated that the inhabitants of Ravna Gora have one judge, one public notary and four verifiers in their magistrate. The aim of that privilege was the development of trade and traffic and the improvement of living conditions of the inhabitants, who had the right to open butcher’s shops, taverns and to fish. The inhabitants of Ravna Gora had the right to use timber they needed for building their houses and firewood from woods owned by noble families. The inhabitants also could buy themselves out of the working obligation and impost, which were stipulated by the feudal law.
On this occasion Joseph II gave Ravna Gora its coat of arms. The shield of the coat of arms is lined, blue, showing 3 sharp, stony, grey-white hills. The middle hill is the largest –all three hills are merging at the foot. In front of them is a city with a tower and red roofs. The buildings have windows and embrasures indicating an administrative area. In front of the buildings is a strap of green colour – grass, then a strap of ochre colour – Karolinska road, the bottom of the field is again coloured in green. Between the middle and the left hill, shaped as a human head, is a golden sun, and between the middle and the right hill is a silver half-moon – also shaped as a human head. Above the coat of arms is a crown with five nibs, each with blue and red jewels in the middle. The inside of the crown is red; around the coat of arms is the inscription: "Seal of the Privileged City Ravna Gora” (Sigill. privileg. oppidi Regii Ravna Gora).
Francis I as well as his precursor Leopold II confirmed the privileges granted to Ravna Gora and ordered the charter to be translated to Croatian language and that the translation as well as the original should be permanently stored in the Municipality.
:: Important historical events::
• 1786 – opening of a school in Ravna Gora,
• when Austria waived a major part of Croatia in 1809, Napoleon established the Illyrian Provinces in which Ravna Gora had a status of municipality,
• 1830 – Ravna Gora brass orchestra established,
• 1894 – Land Community established, rich and exemplary on a wider scale,
• 1920 – new water supply line was built, replacing the old wooden one, and in 1986-1992 the water supply system of Ravna Gora was finished in full,
• 1888 - Volunteer fire department established in Ravna Gora,
• 1918 – Ravna gora choir established,
• 1920 – building of the wood processing factory begins,
• 1922 – electricity was introduced,
• 30-ties – beginnings of tourism in Ravna Gora,
• 1993 – Ravna Gora became an independent municipality, including the villages: Šije, Leskova Draga, Kupjak, Stara Sušica and Stari Laz.